These Quinoa Bites are very versatile and can be adapted to include ingredients that you like. They can be made for an appetizer or even a mid-afternoon snack. After making them I was thinking about how they would be really good with bacon and cheese as a possible breakfast option.
2 cups cooked quinoa
1/4 finely chopped red onion
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup spicy calabrese salami sliced into small squares
1/2 diced tomato
1 tsp. butter
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 1/2 cups cheese (I used goat milk mozzarella and feta)
1. Preheat oven to 350'C.
2. In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Sautee the red onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes. Add in the salami, oregano and basil. Remove from heat.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the quinoa and ingredients from the frying pan.
4. Whisk the eggs and gently combine with the quinoa. Fold in the cheese and tomato.
5. Place the quinoa mixture into 24 mini-muffin cups (or 12-15 regular muffin cups). If you do not have a non-stick pan, make sure you butter the muffin cups before placing the mixture in the cups.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until slighltly browned on top.
7. Let cool completely before gently removing from the cups.