I rarely leave home without a snack in my purse because I want to ensure that I make good choices. That said, I know that I make bad food choices when I am hungry. For example, at the end of the school day and I have eaten all the healthy food I brought with me - this is never a good situation for me. Another example would be if I go grocery shopping after school - the combination of being hungry and having the choice of many different foods usually results in a poor choice. I won't give you the details of what I eat because I am slightly embarrased to admit it. I try to make good choices, but I am definitely not without fault in this area. I KNOW THAT HAVING A SNACK WITH ME CAN HELP PREVENT BUYING SOMETHING THAT IS BAD FOR ME!
After talking with Michael the last few days, we came up with a few snack ideas that are portable and can be eaten without cutlery. I know I am sending you all over the web here, but I want to make sure you have access to the recipes so you can make them yourself.
- Bacon and steak bites http://deliciouslyorganic.net/bacon-and-steak-bites/
- Roasted macadamia nuts, cashews and almonds
- Winter's Turkey Jerky http://wintersturkeys.ca/ (available at Amaranth, Planet Organic and Community - cheaper here)
- Devilled Eggs http://www.marthastewart.com/317419/creamy-deviled-eggs
- Mushrooms stuffed with goat cheese and italian sausage.
- Cauliflower Pizza bites http://joandsue.blogspot.ca/2012/05/cauliflower-pizza-bites.html
- Quinoa Bites http://alyssasfoodevolution.blogspot.ca/2012/05/quinoa-bites.html
- Beet and Nut Pate with cucumber http://alyssasfoodevolution.blogspot.ca/2011/08/roasted-beet-and-nuts-pate.html
- Guacamole and veggies http://www.marthastewart.com/341757/guacamole
- Chicken Salad Wraps http://www.multiplydelicious.com/thefood/2012/01/sundried-tomato-bacon-chicken-salad-crostini/ *use lettuce instead of the crostini.