October 09, 2011

What to have for breakfast? How about some pancakes!

I ordered about 20 pounds of almond flour back in the summer.  After I gave some to other people, I was left with about 8-10 pounds.  Throughout the last few months I have been making many different almond flour treats.  On Saturday morning, I only had about 2 cups left, so I knew I would not have enough to make a batch of muffins.  I decided on pancakes and found this recipe on Elana's website: http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-pancakes-revisited/ 

After a change to the recipe (I used 1 tbsp. of coconut sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup of hot water instead of agave nectar) they turned out surprisingly good and were actually light and fluffy.  Most of the time, almond flour leads to dense, thick baking, but this recipe was not like that. 





Almond Flour Pancakes
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups
blanched almond flour
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda

1 tbsp coconut sugar dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
grapeseed oil

Using a fork, whisk the eggs and vanilla together.  In a small bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda.  Mix egg mixture in with the dry ingredients.  Finally, pour the liquid coconut sugar into the bowl - add enough to make the batter smooth (but not too runny).

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.  Pancakes will take less than a minute on each side.  Watch for bubbles to form and once they pop, flip to the other side.

Serve with your favourite warmed fruit or pancake topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment