September 29, 2011

For the Love of Pizza


I think I crave or think about pizza at least 3 times a week.  In the past, I have asked my students what their favourite food is, and the reply is almost unanimously pizza of some kind.  What is it about pizza that we love so much?  Why is it the go-to food when we watch sports or for children's birthday parties?  It is very easy to pick up the phone, order pizza, and have it delivered straight to our house.  Someone out there made a brilliant business decision when they decided to make it easy for us to order pizza right to our doorstep.

Last night, I had my mom, brother, sister-in-law and their three boys over for supper.  I wanted to make something that was kid-friendly.  Pizza was the answer, but I did not want to have regular pizza.  I bought some Udi's gluten-free crusts and a variety of toppings (cheese, chicken, sausage, ham, pineapple, tomatoes and bacon). http://udisglutenfree.com/view_product/1017/PIZZA_CRUSTS/Pizza_Crusts_2_Pack

This would not be something we would eat everyday, but it was a great meal and was super easy to make (and less expensive than buying pre-made gluten-free pizzas that include toppings - these usually retail for $13-15).  Two Udi's crusts were $7.99 at Co-op and I found them in the frozen, specialty food section.


Here are the types of pizzas I made:

Ham, pineapple and bacon
Spolumbo's sausage and tomato
Cheese and basil
BBQ chicken and bacon

I used Saputo mozzarella and some marble cheese.  It only takes 10 minutes to cook the pizza once they are topped and the toppings can be anything that you like.  That is what I love about pizza; it is so versatile and -always delicious.  So the question is, when are you going to make gluten-free pizza for your family instead of doing what is easier and ordering it delivered right to your door?

No comments:

Post a Comment