December 07, 2011

Bacon, Leek and Potato Soup

Winter time lends itself to warm and hearty food.  Last week, I made some cream of broccoli and cheddar soup and I only wish I had wrote down the recipe so that I could share it with you.  Unfortunately, I am really bad for just making things up and hoping for the best! 

At the grocery store a few days ago I was on a mission to buy lots of vegetables.  I ended up buying leeks and bok choy, which are fairly unfamiliar vegetables to me.  I was looking for a recipe for the leeks and most of the recipes I found were for soup.  Knowing that the snow is likely here to stay in Calgary for a while and the city would be chilly, I decided to make my own warm and hearty leek soup (and knew if I added bacon that Michael would love it).



Bacon, Leek and Potato Soup

2 tsp. butter
8 slices of bacon
1 leek
2 white potatoes
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup goat's milk
1/2 cup organic 1/2 and 1/2 cream
(or 1 cup total of one of the above)


Wash the leek and potatoes.  Slice the leek in half and then into strips.  Dice potatoes (small hashbrown size).  Set vegetables aside.

In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.  Slice bacon into thin strips and place in melted butter.  Sautee for about 5 minutes until bacon is slightly browned. Add vegetables and sautee on medium heat until leeks are soft.  Add salt, pepper, and broth.  Bring mixture to a boil and then turn down to low-medium heat.  Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are cooked through.  Remove from heat and add milk and cream.  Divide soup into two batches and puree in blender until smooth. Serve hot with chives as a garnish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment