September 03, 2012

Gluten Free Banana Bread - Serious Comfort

After a two month break from teaching, it is the eve before I return to school.  I had hoped to post more recipes in the summer, but did not get around to writing down any new recipes or even taking pictures.  Perhaps I was simply enjoying the food and not thinking about writing a new blog post! I definitely enjoyed some good food this summer.  From the Paleo food trucks at the CrossFit Games to the fresh lobster in P.E.I., this summer did not fall short in the food department.  I feel very lucky to be able to afford to travel and eat great food in many different places!  This food was usually shared with family or friends, which made it all the more delicious.

I had some frozen bananas and decided to make my ultimate comfort food - banana bread.  After searching for recipes, I decided to combine almond flour and coconut flour to see what would happen.  I guess my reason for shying away from a totally almond flour recipe or a coconut flour based recipe was due to my lack of ingredients.  The coconut flour recipe called for 6 eggs - no complaint here about eating eggs (I eat them almost every day), but we did not have that many left.  I also did not have 3 cups of almond flour to make the other recipe I found.  So after some brief thinking, I made up my own recipe based on what I had.  Best part of making this bread was looking over at Michael and asking if I should put dark chocolate chips in it.  The answer was a quiet yes.


Banana Bread

1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 Tbsp. unpasteurized honey
1 cup mashed banana
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350'C.  In a medium bowl, combine the almond and coconut flours with the salt and baking soda.  In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, melted coconut oil, honey, and bananas.  Add the wet ingredients into the dry and fold to combine.  Line a bread pan with parchment paper and grease with butter or grapeseed oil.  Pour the batter into the pan.  Bake at 350'C for 40-45 minutes. Insert a toothpick into the middles - if it comes out dry, the bread is done. Let it cool completely before removing from the pan.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment