February 29, 2012

Brad's Birthday Cake

I recently asked my grade 9 students to think about what they are passionate about.  I really emphasized the point that each one of us has something that makes us happy and (most likely) brings a sense of contentment to others.  I told them about how much I love baking and how no matter what I am making that I always enjoy creating something delicious.  I can't even begin to explain how proud I am when people comment on my baking -  this usually happens with a mouthful of something delicious, but nevertheless, it makes me happy.  I live for the moment when everyone takes that first bite and there is quiet around the room while they realized what they just put in their mouth.  Last Sunday, I made a birthday cake for my brother Brad.  It was to celebrate his 25th birthday, but also to acknowledge his completion of his first CrossFit workout earlier that morning.  I was proud of him and put everything I had to make that cake delicious. 

The combination of fluffy whipped cream and the dark chocolate ganache layer makes this a perfect choice for a special occasion.

Brad's Birthday Cake

3 cups almond flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup unpasteurized honey
1/2 cup apple sauce
3 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350'C.  Place a circle of parchment paper in the bottom of a 9'' round springfoam cake pan.  Grease the paper and sides of the pan with grapeseed oil.

Combine/shift the dry ingredients (first four ingredients) in a large bowl.  Whisk the honey, apple sauce, eggs and vanilla in a small mixing bowl.  Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with the dry ingredients.  Using a hand mixer, mix the cake batter for about 1-2 minutes until thoroughly mixed.  Fold in chocolate chips.  Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out dry. Let cool completely. 

Ganache Filling

2 Green and Blacks 85%  dark chocolate bars chopped (or equivalent to 1 cup)
3/4 cup organic heavy cream
1/4 cup unpasteurized honey
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt

In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a boil.  Remove from heat immediately and stir in dark chocolate until fully melted.  The mixture will thicken slightly as you stir.  Add honey, vanilla and salt and stir.  Let it cool at room temperature for about 5 minutes.  Place in the fridge for up to 25 minutes until the mixture is thick - you should still be able to stir it with a spoon (a bit thicker than pudding consistency). 

Whip Cream Icing

1 1/2 cups organic whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp unpasteurized honey

Using a hand mixer, whip the cream until firm peaks form.  Fold in the vanilla and honey.  Set aside for decorating.


Completing the Cake

Remove the cake from the pan and slice it in half horizontally.  Spread the ganache mixture over the bottom portion of the cake.  Place the top half gently on the ganache.  Complete the cake by spreading the whip cream on top and on the sides.  If your whip cream does not hold on the sides, you will have to whip it longer.  Sprinkle with grated dark chocolate.

8 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely declicious! Love the new header at the top of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best cake I have ever eaten made by the best sister ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! It is delicious! I was not happy when Brad told me he ate the last piece today :( Guess I will have to wait for another special occasion in order to enjoy it! Thanks for sharing it Alyssa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quantity for the applesauce is not listed. Please, I hope you answer soon, as I wanted to make this cake for my daughter's first birthday this Saturday, June 23! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you melt the chocolate chips prior to folding them in or do they melt when baking? Also, can you substitute butter instead of applesauce? 1 stick?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Billy, thanks for your questions. I added in the measurement for the apple sauce(it is 1/2 cup). Fold in the chocolate chips - they will melt while baking. As for using butter, I used the apple sauce to add moisture and a bit of sweetness (instead of a full cup of honey). You could try butter instead but keep in mind that the almond flour already has the fat needed for the recipe. Hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out. HAPPY BAKING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Alyssa! Do you know how many ounces a Green and Black bar is? I wasn't able
    to find them. There's also no measurement specification for the chocolate chips folded into the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 8 oz of chopped dark chocolate can be substituted for the 2 bars of chocolate.

    ReplyDelete