January 20, 2012

Kale and Apple Salad

It has been almost a month since I posted a recipe - must be the post-Christmas lull...

Here is a recipe for a delicious salad that includes kale.  I've always sauteed or baked my kale. On New Year's Eve, one of my mom's friend's brought a kale salad with blue cheese and I sat there investigating every single ingredient.  It was so good!  I asked her a few questions and pondered how I could make it better.  Here is the result of my pondering:

Kale and Apple Salad

Dressing

1/8 cup olive oil
1/8 cup lemon juice
1-2 tsp. honey

Whisk together and set aside.

Salad Ingredients

1 bunch of kale (washed, center ribs and stems removed, leaves thinly sliced crosswise)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 apple pear diced (or granny smith)
1/4 cup dried cranberries or blueberries
1/4 toasted almond
1/4 crumbled goat cheese

Place the sliced kale in a medium bowl and sprinkle with salt.  Gently massage the salt into the kale until it turns a darker green and is softened. In a small bowl, place the diced apple and the dressing, tossing to coat.  This will stop the apple from turning brown.  Add the apple dressing mixture, cranberries, and almonds to the kale.  Toss the salad together.  Crumble the goat cheese on top.

*This salad will keep in the fridge for about 5 days.  It actually tastes better after a day or two!

1 comment:

  1. This just what the lonley kale in my fridge needed! Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete